Today I Learned

I started making a before_filter that would redirect a request from a bot. After returning to the code, I decided it would be better to rescue_from SomeCustomError, with: :what_was_previously_a_before_filter so that the code did not have to run on every single request. This probably amounts to minimal performance gains in terms of actual execution time, but I think it brought clarity to the code by having the happy path occur first.

Taking the time to organize your folders/files into something predictable needs to be done quickly when you’re working with branches of code. Every divergent branch means a delay in making it happen.